My dad was over for a couple of weeks to see all his new grandchildren, we decided to put him to work on a few jobs while he was here.
We spend 3 days at the block and got a few thing done.
First up we needed to plant up a little guild that I had been growing out at home. Apple (brought years ago and some how has been self pollinating since we got it), Avacado grown from seed, a couple of Gooseberry’s that Shanelle’s Dad grew for me from cuttings and a ton of sweet potato slips which by some magic had already started to put on decent feed.
They were all planted out around the 2 Pomegranates that we put out a couple of months back.
The sweet potato’s were harvested and turned into mash to have with Sausages and eggs for dinner. Although the picture was an afterthought so it doesn’t look very pretty =p
Next up on the planting I planted out another few hundred/thousand Lilly Pilly seeds. The plan for this batch is to make a windbreak along the shooting range and also in a few years time they will block the sun out of the shooters eyes in the afternoon. At the moment from about 2-4 it’s near impossible to use a scope from either the 25 or 50m positions because of the glare. The area will one day be paddocks for livestock so the trees will make decent shade as well as provide some food.
Throughout the few days we were regularly watering everything with water from the bore hole. It seems like the flow has picked up. We only managed to drain it 2-3 times and several times we were filling up 20l containers as well us buckets. I’ve taken a sample of the water for testing, although i’m not really sure where to take it. I used some to test the ph with the pool test kit but the range is way to narrow. The only info I got from it was that it is more acidic than tap water but I can’t tell by how much because the bore sample is below the test range.
The next day or so was all up on the hill building more of the driveway. Dad and I took in turns on the tractor slowly pulling dirt up the front entrance. Shan took a ton of pics on the first day when we were getting it pretty much to the required depth. Then on the second day we made it wider.
We’ve hit a bit of interesting sheet rock, the tractor blade and bucket were just skimming over it so I had a run with the mattock. When to hit it hard enough it seems to shatter and cover you with something like glitter. It is big hard and heavy, you can also flake see threw shards off of it. I’m guessing it must be some sort of quarts or possibly granite in the way some of it comes away in flat sheets. I couldn’t very good pictures of the pieces I broke off but I’ve put the word out a little to hopefully find someone that knows what they are doing to ID it for me.
Every time we do more work on it, it looks more like a real driveway, almost looks as good a quality as the ‘main’ road that we will join to.
At one point while dad was tractoring I decided to spend some time making sure the entrance to the driveway was less likely to wash away. I decided to put in my first little swale to hopefully keep the majority of the water from wash straight down into it. 15+ acre block and the first swale I put in is only about 15cm deep lol. Nick was a great help with it and had fun digging.
I spent a little bit of time with Nick helping me neaten up the other end of the driveway, I also walked it a couple of times with a GPS and the final length looks like it will be 300m, not a bad sized front yard
We forgot to get pictures of it but Dad and I spent the last afternoon and morning before we went starting to put a roof on the tractor shed. we had put the tin aside for the caravan annex but that job seems to be regularly getting delayed due too to many other things to do. We only had the tin for half a roof, but hopefully soon it will be covered and I won’t need to put a tarp over the tractor every time we leave which will save a bit of time and the start and end of our trips.
Dad also decided to show me how to sharpen a chainsaw blade. He started with the chain that I wrecked over Christmas. It was an almost new blade that I managed to put through a hidden pile of rocks and dirt so it was cutting so real weird angles.
About an hour later he had literally filled off half a dozen teeth. It was hilarious watching him get frustrated with it, I think i’m up for a new chain, lol.